Thursday, July 14, 2016

We're Having a Heat Wave


Not only are we having a heat wave of hot and humid weather in Wisconsin right now, I am currently participating in the Heat Wave class at Online Card Classes.  I always learn something new in these classes and while Day One was a refresher course,  in Day Two and Three's lessons, I learned a lot. The card above is going to be posted in the Pre-Class Gallery. I made the  card a while back but never blogged it. I heat embossed the words background and then sponged on the light blue ink before adding the wheat stamp which was also heat embossed. I framed it with a white frame die cut with Spellbinders dies and added a sticker sentiment.



On Day Two I was reminded to use different sizes of sticky tape strips on a card, adding different colors of embossing powder one at a time for a fun accent on a card. Tonic Studios has just added a bunch of gorgeous embossing powders to their Nuvo line and I used Serenity Blue, Purple Haze and Cool Jade for the strips. Guess what is holding the splots of Nuvo Soft Lilac embossing powder in place (before I heat set them)? Water drops! Following Jennifer McGuire's tip, I used a small brush to spatter on water droplets and sprinkled on lilac embossing powder, then heat set the splots. I also created a few candy dots in different sizes of Nuvo Crushed Grape and Caribbean Ocean Crystal Drops over small glue dots and let them dry, then attached to the card. The Birthday Wishes from Tonic Studios was die cut out of thick white cardstock and then I applied Versamark all over it. I added some Nuvo sparkly glitter embossing powders alternating Black Noir, Silver Midnight and Gold Enchantment, then heat set it. IRL the Birthday Wishes is very sparkly and textured and lovely with the three different colors.

I recommend this short three day class even if you are an experienced heat embosser as I learned many new ideas I will use. I am teaching a class on August 26th and 27th at Let's Create in Wisconsin Rapids using heat embossing in different ways (see this blog post and this one for samples) and have written two articles for Scrap and Stamp Arts on the heat embossing techniques and still learned from the video tutorials in this class. You can jump in now and take the class or take it anytime after it is done and still learn all the embossing tips.

2 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Lovely cards Karen - I love the second one with the embossing done using different techniques.
Blessings
Maxine

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautiful cards and I especially like the sympathy one.